Senior Exploration Geologist - MENA Region
Senior Exploration Geologist
A unique company in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, which combines exploration and mining experience with local knowledge and proven leadership. It ensures that environments and communities benefit from its presence and to achieve this it works with local communities and governments to make sure there is social and economic benefit from its presence, the environment is protected, and that work places are kept safe.
Reporting to the Country Manager, the Senior Geologist will be based in Asmara, Eritrea on a FIFO basis. The Senior Geologist will be responsible for the coordination and management of multiple exploration programs, including regional soil sampling, mapping, airborne geophysical and drilling campaigns over a large geographical area and managing local exploration teams. Candidates must also demonstrate capabilities in the following areas:
· Within areas of responsibility, ensure staff and contractors are aware and comply with applicable statutory acts and regulations specific to each country where exploration or mining operations are taking place; Company policies, and legal agreements with exploration partners, community associations and other groups.
· Adherence to budget and cost control requirements.
· Compliance with all applicable Company policies and procedures.
· Assist with the development of management plans, work procedures, audits, reviews and agreements applicable to exploration activities and consistent with this legislation, codes, policies, standards, principles, procedures and community expectations.
· Assist with the rigorous assessment of country risk, ensure the legislative framework and project specific risks are completed and maintained for projects of interest to identify impediments, risks and opportunities for exploration and investment activities.
· Assist with the development of Environmental, Safety and Community Management plans applicable to exploration and ensure exploration activities are conducted within the framework of those plans.
· Provide visible leadership and management commitment on HSE&C matters and actively promote and reward improvements to HSE&C management.
· Implement exploration programmes.
· Involvement with project generation activities and prioritising targets from this work for exploration in the short, medium and long terms.
· Ensure that adequate resources are allocated to this process to enable new opportunities to be identified and progressed.
· Make recommendations to management derived from property appraisals and company monitoring in relation to Joint Ventures and potential equity investments and negotiate terms with potential partners.
· Maintain awareness of mining, metallurgical, land access, security and country risk issues that may impact on valuations and project risks safety needs to be added here somewhere.
· Develop and maintain a network of contacts within the industry and within appropriate government and research bodies to acquire pertinent information and generate and maintain influence.
· Refine targets generated from generative studies on a regular basis to maximise effectiveness.
· Provide leadership and supervision for continual improvement of policies and procedures.
Community and Risk
· Maintain a comprehensive understanding of local customs, business culture, legislation and stakeholder expectations.
· Maintain proactive dialogue with local community groups and maintain active community relations programs.
· Ensure that those under your supervision complete a review of community sensitivities prior to establishing new exploration activities.
The successful candidate will be a qualified geologist with at least 10 years experience in both Brownfield and Greenfield exploration, preferably with some experience in the MENA region. In addition, the ideal candidate will also possess:
· Tertiary qualification in geology with demonstrated skills in project/business management
· Ability to assess exploration information, recognise the economic significance of that data and any deficiencies that may be present
· Ability to operate in extremely challenging environments, with strong independence to work unsupervised and to be able to navigate the inter-personal relationships within the dynamic operating structures
· Strong commercial sense and sound business acumen as well as excellent communication, mentoring, training, and negotiation skills
· A team work attitude - must be capable of developing and maintaining effective working relationships across a broad cross-section of exploration personnel, contractors, consultants, industry bodies, researchers and government agencies
· Broad understanding of mining, metallurgical, environmental, land access, community relations, commercial and country risk issues
· Sound understanding of Middle Eastern cultures and business customs. The incumbent will work in cooperation with exploration personnel, especially those located in the Middle East. The incumbent will also handle liaisons with country political leaders/government, mining industry peers, industry advisory panels, consultants, and contractors.
CA Global have Recruitment expertise in Africa in the following sectors, Mining, Oil & Gas, Banking, Finance, Telecoms, IT, Information Technology , NGO, Engineering, Construction, Power, Energy, Medical, Maritime, Transport, Shipping, Logistics, Procurement, Hotels and Executives. CA Global have experience in Recruiting and Staffing projects in the following countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.